Catholic Charities of Dallas – Dallas, TX
Title: Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps Legal Fellow
Position Summary: The Equal Justice Works justice AmeriCorps Fellow will be one of 46 lawyers and paralegals working throughout the United States to provide representation to unaccompanied immigrant children, as part of the justice AmeriCorps program. The Fellow will be responsible for conducting thorough intakes of clients aged 15 and younger and providing direct legal representation in immigration and related proceedings, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile status, and other forms of relief.
The term of service is one year, starting October 2016.
Responsibilities and Duties:
•Handle client caseload, providing direct representation to unaccompanied children aged 15 and younger
- Conduct thorough intakes to determine the forms of legal relief available
- Represent children in immigration removal proceedings, as well as before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and state court proceedings related to a child’s immigration case
- Mentor pro bono attorneys to represent children in immigration or state court proceedings
- Screen clients for trauma, abuse, and trafficking
- Make referrals to additional services as appropriate
- Assume general administrative responsibilities, including grant compliance, data collection, timekeeping, case management, and other tasks related to AmeriCorps and Equal Justice Works program compliance
•Hold a J.D.
- Spanish language fluency
- Experience in immigration or family law (preferred)
- Experience working with children (preferred)
This position requires completion of NSOPW, state, and FBI Fingerprint, criminal background checks, as well as compliance with all CNCS Federal Regulations throughout the fellowship program. This position is contingent on eligibility determined by the results of the criminal history checks.
Catholic Charities of Dallas is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.
•AmeriCorps Living Allowance of $24,200
- Supplemental benefits for housing, student loans, professional dues, and relocation expenses up to $16,800
Other Benefits and Professional Opportunities:
Standard fellowship benefits:
- Eligibility to place all qualified student loans into forbearance and receive an interest accrual payment at the end of service
- $5,775 Segal Education Award upon successful completion of one year of service
- Participation in a week-long national training program on representing unaccompanied immigrant children in Washington, D.C.
- Child care assistance (through CNCS-approved vendor if income-eligible)
- Fully paid health insurance
- Opportunity to attend the annual Equal Justice Works Leadership Development Training
Application Process: Please email email@example.com with a cover letter and a resume. In the subject header of the email please state “EJW AmeriCorps Attorney Fellow Position”.