Post-Election Concerns & Questions
We’ve heard from many of you with concerns or questions about your immigration or refugee status, and we appreciate that this is a complex, emotionally charged time. While we cannot foresee what the future will hold, we can reassure you that Catholic Charities of Dallas is here for you as your support and counsel going forward. Our mission remains to ‘welcome the stranger’ to our community – just as our work for the past 40 years on behalf of immigrants and refugees in Greater Dallas has shown. Going forward, we believe that work will be more important than ever.
We remain committed advocates to protect all life, especially the lives of those most fragile and in need. We will continue to embrace those who are hungry, frail, homeless or strangers to our community – it’s our calling and people should continue to look to us for care and support.
In the short term, we strongly recommend that anyone concerned about their case come visit us at CCD for a consultation or reach out to a reliable, licensed attorney to receive an analysis of their case. Every person’s case is different and warrants a detailed review.
Let us continue to pray for understanding, acceptance, compassion and healing in our community and country.
As we near the first of two milestone dates related to President Obama’s Immigration Action, CCD will be holding a series of information outreach sessions open to the public to better inform people about the President’s DACA & DAPA expansions. The sessions are free to attendees and will discuss eligibility, costs for application and timing.
What is deferred action?
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) allows certain individuals, who meet specific guidelines, to request consideration of deferred action from USCIS.The Executive Action President Obana announced in 2012 can still be applied for qualifying applicants.
Individuals who receive deferred action will not be placed into removal proceedings or removed from the U.S. for a specified period of time unless terminated. If you receive DACA, you are eligible for employment authorization.
Individuals who demonstrate that they meet the guidelines below may request consideration of DACA for childhood arrivals for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and eligible for employment authorization.
You may request consideration of DACA if you:
- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
If you meet the guidelines for DACA, you will need to complete steps to make your request to USCIS. For more information, or to schedule an information event in your area, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Central Office (9461 LBJ Freeway, Suite 100, Dallas, TX 75243)
- Individual consultations are provided in person at our office on a first-come, first-served basis Monday through Saturday.
- Each individual will receive a numbered ticket upon arrival, beginning at 7:30 a.m.
West Dallas Family Service Center (2323 N. Walton Walker Blvd. Dallas, TX 75212)
- You must have a scheduled appointment in order to be served by our staff at the West Dallas location. We currently accept walk-ins on Wednesdays.
- Appointments are available Monday – Friday starting at 8:00 a.m. and are scheduled every 30 minutes.
- Call (214) 217-5600 to schedule an appointment.