Knowing your rights is the best way to protect yourself against abuse by any law enforcement authority. The following are just some of the rights all people have, regardless of their immigration status:
- The right to speak to an attorney or an accredited representative.
- The right to make a phone call.
- The right, under certain circumstances, to request a hearing before an Immigration Judge.
- The right to receive a current list of voluntary agencies which offer legal services.
- The right to receive in writing the charges made against you.
- The right, under certain circumstances, to request political asylum if you fear persecution in your country on the basis of race, religion, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.
- The right, under certain circumstances, to appeal your case to a higher review level.
For more information about your rights, and to inquire about particular events which may have happened to you, please visit one of our office locations.