What is the purpose of the benefit?
To provide relief to victims who are suffering domestic abuse and to prevent abusers from using U.S. immigration law in furtherance of their abuse.
What are the eligibility requirements for receiving VAWA?
- The abuser must be a U.S. citizen (USC) or legal permanent resident (LPR)
- The self-petitioner was subjected to battery or extreme cruelty by the USC or LPR spouse
- The self-petitioner lived with the abuser at some point
- Marriage began in “good-faith”
- Self-petitioner has good moral character
Who can file a VAWA self-petition?
- An abused spouse of a USC or LPR
- An abused child of a USC or LPR (unmarried, under 21 years old)
- A non-abused spouse of a USC or LPR whose child is abused by the USC or LPR spouse
- An abused parent of a USC son or daughter (21 years or older)